The department is headed by Dr. R. Dinesh Prabhu., M.D., (Pulmonologist) that specializes on Medical Thoroscopy, EBUS, TBNA, USG guided pleural biopsy procedures.
Pulmonology is a medical speciality that concentrates on the health and diseases of the respiratory system. The various reasons by which this system gets affected are:
- Infections - Common cold, acute and chronic bronchitis, Pneumonia caused by bacteria, virus and fungii, Tuberculosis, etc.
- Inflammatory and Interstitial diseases - Interstitial fibrosis, Sarcoidosis, Hypersensitivity pneumonitis, Alveolar hemorrhage, etc.
- Allergic disorderes - Asthma, Allergic rhinitis, Urticaria, Food and drug allergy
- Pleural diseases - Pneumothorax, pleural effusion, Empyema, Tumours, etc.
- Neoplasm- tumour related
- Sleep related - Obstructive sleep apnoea and Obesity Hypoventilation syndrome
- Pulmonary circulation - Thrombosis, Pulmonary Hypertension, Vasculitis, etc.
- Occupation related - Asthma, COPD, silicosis, Asbestosis, etc.
Tests and Procedures:
Chest Xray, CT Thorax, Ultrasound chest - Imaging techniques to see the lungs and surrounding structures Pulmonary Function tests - Spirometry, Peak Expiratory Flow, Diffusing capacity, Lung volumes, 6 minute walk test, Arterial blood gas analysis, etc. Endoscopy procedures – Flexible bronchoscopy, Thoracoscopy, Foreign body removal